Apr 15, 2014

DIY {Magnetic Kid's Chalkboard Chore Chart}


I introduced chores to my 6 year old son a few months back but I wanted a better way for him to see what he needed to do and check it off as he finished them. I had a paper chore chart up for a while with just a magnet to hold it onto the fridge. I didn't want to print out a new one each week. Ain't nobody got time for that! So we tried just erasing the checks at the end of the week. That was just as annoying. 

For my first attempt I tried using a photo frame with the glass still in and spray painting the glass with chalkboard spray paint. I glued magnets to the back. I couldn't get the magnets to hold. I went to the craft store looking for heavy duty magnets and I came across a magnetic printable canvas a little bigger than an 8 x 10. Perfect! Also, did you know you could use a white colored pencil on chalkboard and it won't erase but it looks like white chalk when you write? I saw that on another blog and knew it would work here perfectly.

Supplies:

*Magnetic sheet
*Chalkboard Spray Paint
*White Colored Pencil
*Pencil with eraser
*Measuring Tape
*Hot glue gun
*Ruler (I used a straight edge from my folder because I need to get a ruler!)
*chalk & dry washcloth/wipe- not pictured
*optional: Jute(Twine) - not pictured


Spray paint the magnetic canvas. I did two coats.



Here's what it looks like dry


Take a piece of chalk and rub it over the surface to give it more of a used chalkboard look.



I mapped out what I wanted it to look like on a piece of paper so I could tweak it if need be. Measure out your grid lines on your chalkboard surface.


Use your pencil to make your preliminary mark for your grid. Use your white colored pencil when you are ready to make your permanent lines. Here's where I really need a ruler!


It doesn't have to be exact. Just nice and clean so it looks grid-like.


Make your title, days of the week letters and chore list with the colored pencil. Don't worry if you make a mistake. Use the pencil eraser and wipe over it with your cloth.



  

I added the twine to the border to give it a little more something to it.


 Tie a knot at the end to prevent fraying. Use hot glue to hold it down.



Finished! It turned out exactly the way I had hoped. His chores are to water and feed the dog daily, dust his bedroom weekly, take out all the bathroom trash weekly and pick up his bath toys after each bath. It's what works for us.


It sticks firmly to the fridge. I added a little sliver of magnet (I already had a small piece) with hot glue to the piece of chalk to keep it nearby.



1 comments:

skippy haha said...

wow! that spray chalkboard is pretty magical! looks great!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! ♥
◊Your comments are most appreciated◊