Nov 3, 2018

What Podcasts to Listen To Part II


I have discovered a few more podcasts since my last post that I think are worthy enough to share with you guys! I use Overcast on my apple devices to download and listen to podcasts but there are so many other ways to listen. Just use your favorite platform. Side note. I don't like GORY. So I won't recommend anything horror but I do listen to true crime. Most of these listed here are true crime stories. Check my other two lists (Part I and pop culture podcasts picks) for mentions of non crime stuff.



So here we go:

Y'all. This is IT. This is my number one podcast recommendation I hand out these days. Side note, I didn't listen to season 1 because I don't like stories with children involved but I heard it got great reviews. BUT SERIOUSLY. Season 2 is where it is at. I honestly don't think I have enjoyed a podcast this much since Serial season 1! I remember the last episode dropped when I was on vacation at the beach and I purposefully took a walk down to the beach alone at like 8pm at night just so I could listen to it immediately. This story is ongoing. So you're gonna be able to continue the journey even after you've finished that last episode. You're welcome. Here is the season synopsis from their website:

Curtis Flowers has been tried six times for the same crime. For 21 years, Flowers has maintained his innocence. He's won appeal after appeal, but every time, the prosecutor just tries the case again. What does the evidence reveal? And how can the justice system ignore the prosecutor's record and keep Flowers on death row?


Guys. This one is so darn good that Bravo is making a limited series that is set to air very soon. A love story gone wrong. Shakespeare would've been proud I think! This is juicy, shocking and down right unbelievable. You must listen to the podcast first. It's that good.

"Debra Newell is a successful interior designer. She meets John Meehan, a handsome man who seems to check all the boxes: attentive, available, just back from a year in Iraq with Doctors Without Borders. But her family doesn’t like John, and they get entangled in an increasingly complex web of love, deception, forgiveness, denial, and ultimately, survival. Reported and hosted by Christopher Goffard from the L.A. Times."


#3) Bear Brook
At the time I'm writing this post they have released up to episode 5. I'm not sure how many episodes it will eventually be but it is good enough so far for me to recommend it if that tells you anything! This one is coming out of New Hampshire public radio and the narrator is doing an excellent job at keeping the story moving along. There is one episode that gets a little science-y but it won't matter after you hear episode 4 and 5.



Just like Stefan describing a new club in NYC on SNL, this podcast has a little bit of everything. Clocks, murder accusations, theft and a treasure hunt. From the same people as Serial and This American Life. You're gonna get A+ production, sound and storytelling.



Not true crime! Ha! This podcast brings you current events mixed with concepts from the past. Excellent intellectual discussions that will leave you feeling super smart and ready to have interesting conversations with your friends.






Honorable Mentions

I will never have back surgery without getting a second, third or fourth opinion.



The Atlanta-Journal Constitution newspaper has done 6 seasons of podcasting at this point I believe. I've not put them on my list before but they do deserve mentioning. They are all true crime. I can tell you which seasons I liked and which ones I just didn't get into. Season 1 is fine, Season 2 involves a toddler but somehow I was able to listen to, Season 3 I hated, Season 4 was hard to get into and so is Season 6. So that leaves Season 5 as probably my best one to recommend. It's just an honorable mention because the narrator isn't the best. But it's ok. I don't let it bother me. It might not be your taste though. I've been listening to Bill Rankin for so long now that it's kind of become old hat to hear his terrible narrating.

I'll be back with more as I uncover new podcasts!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! ♥
◊Your comments are most appreciated◊