Jun 23, 2015

Father's Day @ Biltmore Estate


The hubby and I went to the Biltmore House on Sunday because they were running a buy one get one free ticket situation for Father's Day. Biltmore may not be my husband's ideal place to spend Father's Day but we were going with some other family members (my cousin and her husband, my aunt and uncle) and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. Plus I love spending time with my family and time I can. I feel like we all get so disconnected with life and daily routines. It's good to get together! My dad was going to come along too but decided against it because he has a terribly bad back and walking, stairs and huge crowds don't really mesh well with his pain level. We met him and my other cousin and her husband for dinner after our tour.

I finally got to take the Rooftop Tour that I have been dying to take. I want to take the Upstairs Downstairs tour even more because you get to peek into the lives of the butlers, maids, etc. Just like Downton Abbey! But we couldn't work that into the schedule on Sunday. Just means we need to go back again! 


The views were just gorgeous! And we could not have asked for a clearer day. It was hot but the breeze was kickin!


This was the view out of a tiny little window above the Winter Garden. The screen kind of makes it look a little funky - sorry about that.


I've never seen the angles of the house. It was awesome. The balconies were pretty tiny.


The tour guide told us that when George and Edith Vanderbilt got home after their 4 month honeymoon in Italy they stood on this balcony and took in the welcome home extravaganza full of fireworks, bonfires and bands. It was the first time Edith had ever been to Biltmore! 




Vanderbilt owned land as far as he could see.




I never knew the letters "G" and "V" were on every other tile on the roof line.




We had an awesome time!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! ♥
◊Your comments are most appreciated◊